Training and CPD
The UWA Mediation Clinic works closely with the UWA Law School to offer internationally recognised courses.
Twice a year we offer a National Mediation course that is open to staff, alumni, community members, and professionals from any discipline.
A range of continuing professional development (CPD) courses are also offered to nationally accredited mediators.
For NMAS Accreditation/Re-accreditation forms, please click here
For further information re frequently asked questions, please check our FAQ page here
UWA's 1 Week Intensive Course for Accreditation as a National Mediator (NMAS)
This 1 week mediation course is for professionals who wish to add mediation to their skill base.
As the curriculum complies with the educational requirements of the National Mediator Accreditation System (NMAS), upon completion, participants are eligible for registration as a Nationally Accredited Mediator.
- The course includes core modules, a coaching workshop, and an assessment workshop.
- All modules attract legal CPD points.
The course will be led by Associate Professor Jill Howieson and the UWA Mediation Clinic staff.
- Jill is an inaugural board member of the National Mediator Standards Board, a nationally accredited mediator, and a family dispute resolution practitioner.
Training Dates: Monday 30 September, 8.30am-5pm through Friday 4 October, 8.30am-5pm
Venue: University of Western Australia, Law School Moot Court RmG06
Cost: $3,300 (incl GST)
- Includes morning tea and lunch each day
- Discounts are available for group bookings of 2 or more. For more information, please email email@example.com
Registration & Payment: Click here
Note: To receive registration as a Nationally Accredited Mediator for two years, there is an additional cost of $150, which consists of the Mediator Standards Board (MSB) fee, GST, and administration costs for UWA. See UWA Mediation Clinic website for further details.
Pre-mediation: How to conduct a session and create a mediation formulation
This intensive 3-hour training course demonstrates how to run pre-mediation sessions using MBT-M skills.
Pre-mediation is an essential element of a successful mediation. In this training, participants will learn to implement a structured process (MBT-M) for running pre-mediation sessions. Participants will also learn how to develop mentalizing formulations, which prepare the parties for mediation.
This training module builds upon the Basic MBT-M Training Course and will provide demonstrations and examples of pre-mediation in action.
It is suitable for both:
- Participants of the July 2018 Basic MBT-M training course, and
- Graduates of a UWA NMAS mediation accreditation training course
The course will be presented by Professor Anthony Bateman, Assoc. Professor Jill Howieson, and Dr Matthew Ruggiero
Training Date: Tuesday evening, 9th July 2019, 6-9pm
Venue: UWA Law School Moot Court, RmG06
Cost: $330 (incl GST)
To register, click here
MBT-M Advanced Mediation Training
Advanced training for lawyers, mediators, and practitioners to assist with complex and high conflict mediations.
Presented by: Prof. Anthony Bateman and the UWA Mediation Clinic.
MBT-M is an approach to mediation that gives practitioners an organised framework for thinking about what occurs in mediation. It provides skills to intervene in a manner that maximises the usefulness of mediation conversations in complex and high conflict situations.
- Develop an understanding of the underpinning theory of mentalizing, which provides a framework to understand the behaviour of parties during conflict.
- Develop skills in using a range of interventions that can facilitate and deepen the communication between the parties.
- Learn how to formulate conflict from a mentalizing perspective, and use this knowledge to engage the parties in meaningful and sustainable decision making.
CPD Points: NMAS mediation (up to 8 hours), Legal CPD points (Professional Skills, 4 points), and Ethics and Professional Responsibility (2 points) are available.
Training Dates: Thursday 11 July, 9-5pm & Friday 12 July 2019, 9-5pm.
Venue: University of Western Australia, Law School Moot Court, Rm G06.
Cost: $1,100 (incl GST). Includes lunch and refreshments each day, and after-course drinks on Friday.
To register, click here
About the Presenter:
Professor Anthony Bateman MA FRCPsych is Consultant Psychiatrist and Psychotherapist and MBT coordinator at the Anna Freud Centre (London), visiting Professor at University College London, and Honorary Professor in Psychotherapy at the University of Copenhagen. He developed Mentalization Based Treatment with Peter Fonagy for Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) and studied its effectiveness in research trials. Adapted versions are now being used in multi-centre trials for Antisocial Personality Disorder, eating disorders, and drug addiction. He was an expert member of the National Institute for Clinical Excellence development group for treatment guidelines for BPD in the UK and is currently Chair of the National Guideline Development Group for Eating Disorders. He was President of the European Society for the Study of Personality Disorders from 2012-2015. He received a senior scientist award from the British and Irish Group for the Study of Personality Disorder in 2012, and in 2015 the annual aard for "Achievement in the Field of Severe Personality Disorders" from the BPDRC in the USA. He has authored 14 books, numerous book chapters, and over 120 peer reviewed research articles on personality disorder and the use of psychotherapy in psychiatric practice.
NMAS Mediation Accreditation Training Course
Would you like to add mediation as part of your practice?
UWA offers a 10 week after-hours mediation course for professionals who wish to accredit as a mediator.
The curriculum complies with the educational requirements of the National Mediator Accreditation System (NMAS).
- The course takes place 1 night per week for 10 weeks
- All modules attract legal CPD points
The course will be led by Associate Professor Jill Howieson and Dr Matthew Ruggiero:
- Jill is an inaugural board member of the National Mediator Standards Board, a nationally accredited mediator, and a family dispute resolution practitioner
- Matthew is a psychologist working across several domains including clinical practice, supervision, mediation, service implementation, and lecturing
Dates and Times:
- Modules: Wednesday 10 April - Wednesday 12 June, 6-9pm
- Coaching workshop: Saturday 8 June, 9-3pm
- Assessment workshop: Saturday 15 June, 9-3pm
Venue: UWA Law School - Law Moot Court (G06)
Cost: $3,300 (inc GST) for all modules, coaching workshop, and assessment day
Registration and Payment: Click here
National Mediation Accreditation - Refresher and Accreditation Role-play DayA one-day program consisting of:
- Refresher Webinars (before the program)
- Refresher session and Q & A (9.00- 10.30am)
- Accreditation/Re-accreditation role-plays (11.00am - 5.30pm)
- Lunch and morning tea provided
Date: Saturday 9 February
Venue: UWA Law School - Law Lecture Room 3 (G05)
Cost: $440 (inc GST)
Registration and Payment: Click here
Find out more about the courses currently available.